30 July, 2009

My Grandpa Donald Leland Shelton

After a long struggle with Parkinson's disease, my grandpa Donald Leland Shelton died due to complications from pneumonia on June 15th. He was 79 years old. We attended his funeral on June 20th in West Jordan, Utah. The past couple years have been very hard on my grandpa and my grandma. He has been very sick and continually getting weaker and weaker due to the Parkinson's that was taking over his body. The last year he had been hospitalized on numerous occasions. So when this last bout of pneumonia hit him, we all prayed that he wouldn't suffer any more. It was hard to say good bye even though we all know we'll see him again, but we know it was for the best. It has been especially hard to look into my grandma's eyes. They were married for 53 years, and the last couple years she has been consumed with taking care of my grandpa. Her life was my grandpa. I talked to her briefly a couple weeks ago when she came down for a visit, and she told me how much she missed him. We both had a good cry. I love my grandpa so much. He did so much for us, and was always there when we needed him. I will miss most his quite chuckle, and insight on life. He had such a strong and wonderful testimony of the gospel. Love you grandpa and look forward to day when I will see you again. Kisses.
This is a horrible picture of my grandpa, but it was the only one I could find on my computer. This is him and my grandma at their 50th wedding anniversary.

This is my grandma at the funeral service, receiving my grandpa's flag for his service in the Korean War.



Saying good bye. Starting on left- Brianna, Kent, my cousin Jonathon, my brother Brandon, my niece Alyssa and my niece Elyzabeth.

Here is Brianna, Kent , and Aurora. My girls were very close to my grandpa. Brianna had so many questions at the funeral. She made Kent stay next to the casket for quite a while while she peppered him with questions. She still asks all kinds of questions about his death. Even today she brought him up again and said that she missed him.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. It is always hard to lose those we love. Thanks goodness for the gospel and the knowledge that we will be able to see them again!

Tennant Family said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa. I'm glad that you have such fond memories of him. It's so cool that he and your grandma had a 50th wedding anniversary, so few make it to that point. I'm glad that you're open and honest with your girls about the situation. It's hard on them being so little...

ESPN NBA Team